View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-15, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
My wife absolutely *loved* _Motoring with Mohammed_, about an American that travels back to Yemen after 10 years to recover... oh heck, here's the Amazon blurb:

So he has to bury several years of travel journals when shipwrecked and saved by gun runners. And that's just the *backstory*. True, no less. It's on my post-graduation To Read stack.
Hey, that sounds like a great read. I have begun to be kind of fascinated by the Middle East. I'm not sure why exactly, and I would be afraid to go there, at least in the current political climate. But I find it enthralling, for example, that a huge percentage of the Iranian people really seem to like America. What an intriguing concept to explore 'that' would be.

And after reading so many comments and explanations by Segovius about Islam, etc., my interest has been piqued greatly.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Sounds scary and thrilling all at once.

I just started reading a travel book by a woman named Wendy Dale who went to Costa Rica (somewhere I've been wanting to go for years). Immediately upon arrival in San Juan, she became involved with a con man to whom she gave a considerable sum of money. As they walked down the street at one point, a car drove up and he was abducted by five guys. (They turned out to be investigative police and he was thrown in prison.) I've only read about twenty pages so far. Not quite the same as being saved by gun-runners, but still... (eek!). Not my idea of a way to spend a relaxing vacation.