View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-15, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared
That would probably be "Kitchen Confidential." It's not that bad. I believe it started out as an article in the New Yorker and received such a large response he turned it into a book. A lot of people will never eat fish on a Monday because of it.
Yeah, that's the book I have. No fish on Monday, eh? Urgh. I'll definitely have to tuck that bit of information away for future reference. Oooh...*shiver*. I never complain about food either. To me, that seems a hazardous thing to do in a restaurant where they're preparing stuff you're gonna put in your mouth. I made the mistake once of asking for more sauce for a garden omelet I was enjoying. The extra bowl of sauce came out with a strange substance in it that makes my stomach quiver even today just thinking about it.

Quote:
The Traveler's Tales series puts together various writers on subjects ranging from eating, history, experiences, etc. For instance, in the Spain volume Penelope Casas, a Spanish cookbook author, describes how she visited the Alhambra at night with Washington Irving's book in tow. it was quite a seductive story and really makes you want to be there.
Sounds great. I'm in the library right now and plan to go check their travel section as soon as my hour of computer time runs out. Hope they have that series. This is a terrific library, so they should have a few volumes at least...maybe even some of the other books people have mentioned in this thread. Fingers crossed.