View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-16, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Anthony Bourdain wrote a travel/food book that I enjoyed as much as Kitchen Confidential.

But I'm really chiming in to recommend Michael Palin's travel books and especially his website where he'll actually let you read all his books for free. Being a Python it's hard to keep his humour hidden, (e.g. 'Fifteen million people live in Mexico City and it smells as if they all farted at once.' ) but they are serious books. His books (and the pretty much unseen in america, TV series companions) fill me with wanderlust. I bought a region free DVD player just so I could watch his UK DVDs.
The actual books (and Basil Pao's companion photo albums are also great.

I just ordered Bryson's "african diary" & "I'm a stranger here myself"
I could use a larf.
I've seen a smattering of Palin's television episodes. Ones about: Russia (Pole to Pole ?), about ritual drumming (in Japan? Around the World in 80 Days ?), about going through the Middle East, parts about Africa, Capetown, and Antarctica, I think.

I could be confusing Palin's programs with those of another British guy who did a travel series, but I think his involved primarily rail journeys. Hmmm. Then there was a program about taking the last train across Canada from coast to coast. Can't remember who the host was for that one.

Bryson also wrote a book along the lines of "a little something about everything." I actually have two copies of that one. It's a pretty hefty volume. Have only read like one page, because I could tell immediately that the book would require more time than I had available.

The African diary thing sounds interesting. Let me know how you like it, okay?

Yeah, wanderlust, no kidding. I want to travel without having to rush. I'd like to live in places for awhile. I'd like to live on the south coast of England for a few months, because I'm such a major Anglophile. Maybe actually living there would cure me. I wonder. In the past I seem to have had a fantasy view of England, but recent articles I've read about the crime and over-crowding have taken a bit of the edge off my starry-eyed worship. I wonder what it's really like over there. I think the draw of the historical aspects would fascinate me endlessly. I have actually been in England, but only for four days on a whirlwind, month-long Europe trip right after college. It seemed like every time I asked someone a question, they either didn't speak English well enough for me to understand their answer, or in one case, their northern accent was so strong I couldn't understand a word they said.