View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-16, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I also am a fan of Michael Palin’s books. Oddly enough though, I have never seen any of the accompanying television series. The books themselves are not ‘high art’ writing, nor are they incisive exposés of the places he visits. They are, however, interesting and observant travelogues from a person who I think would be an excellent person to travel with. I really enjoy them.

Actually, I enjoy travel books generally. They allow me to live vicariously and do, in my mind, all the travel that I wish I had time for in real life.
Hi Chinney. I also want to read some of the historical travel books, to find out what travelers experienced long ago. I have a book about the journeys of Marco Polo that I'm dying to read. How fascinating that should prove to be.

Can you imagine women from the 1800's traveling in long dresses? What a nightmare of clothing upkeep that would be. But I guess most travelers in general were well-off and had servants to keep their clothes clean. I think it's interesting to consider all the practical details about past travel. And just think, in a hundred years, people will look back on US with sympathy and pity, and wonder how we managed with our primitive ways and accommodations. heh.