View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-25, 10:44

Well, it's good to see I'm not the only one with the problem All the more surprising that there seems to be no good resource for this. It's not the concepts I need to learn (there's plenty of information on that); it's the way of thinking, so to speak. I don't know how to put it any better. Ditching old habits and acquiring new ones, sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
From my experience (Which is small, as it's limited to 3 years with PHP), OOP is still very much linear. There's no way to escape that with traditional computing abilities.
In simpler applications, that may be the case, but as soon as you need to deal with, say, socket programming, you are forced to think of run loops, for example. Not that linear any more.

Quote:
There are very few books on Ruby on shelves as of yet, so you'll be hard-pressed to find one with a Ruby focus.
Eh, that's fine.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-...ed_programming is a Good reference on OOP, and I'd suggest reading it before purchasing anything.
I did in fact look at that; they have a WikiBooks entry on that, too. Doesn't really help though. Again, it's not the concepts I'm trying to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
No book recommendation here, but a suggestion.

When I start with developing Access database, which is in a weak sense, a OOB environment, I make decision on what I want to see on the screen, and what I can do at this point.

Here linearity applies.
To an extent, yes. But what if the user does something in an order you didn't expect? The interactivity the user gains means, at the same time, that the programmer loses predictability.