View Single Post
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-03-08, 11:22

Once again I agree with InactionMan...

The other thing is that they haven't done anything illegal because a REAL underage girl was not involved - a cop was....

they haven't sent pictures of them nude to some underage girl... they've done it to someone they thought were underage... now I'm not saying it's not morally apprenhensible but if no minor was exposed to images of the man nude then no crime was committed.... now if the police used a real minor for the act and they got exposed to images then the police are equally responsible.

they are not committing crimes, they think they are committing crimes, but technically not.

the other flip side is that the internet allows total anonymity... so what about the guy who is conversing with a real minor who presents themselves as an adult and they send nude pictures to that minor..... in this case a crime has been committed, but it was unintentional.

there is a lot of grey area, but i'm a firm believer that a pre-requisite for convicting someone for a crime is that that crime must ACTUALLY occur. an adult officer posing as a kid is NOT a kid

in addition convicted or not, these people should be allowed to sue Dateline in my opinion...... just because they are doing something illegal does not mean that Dateline should go out profiting off it at the expense of the person.

i don't care what crime somebody has committed but it is the responsibility of the COURTS to determine guilt and mete out any punishment..... in this situation the TV NETWORKS are meting out punishment with or without conviction in the form of humiliation and exposure on national tv. That is psychologically damaging to an individual.....

if you don't have consideration for the individual committing the crime at the very least you should consider the damage done to the family of the victim. try to imagine if that was your brother or father or spouse on that show. now imagine that everyone knew that...

i think what he meant was

Quote:
Banana, this show isn't targeting only sexual predators
yes some, maybe most are sexual predators, but some are going to fit the profile of the
Quote:
sad middle-aged, middle-American losers that have bought too much into western cultures collective Lolita complex.

since people can pretend to be whoever they want on the internet, i personally think that the internet should be a place where you should be allowed to talk to anyone about anything and that there is no crime until it enters real life situations.... it is the responsibility of the parent to monitor their kids' activities online...... ....

i would love to see a counter to this show where someone pretends to be the predator and catch this show trying to catch people...... i.e. since it is known that there are people pretending to be young girls, someone should start a show where they pretend to be pedophiles and then plan on encountering the "alleged minor" with a film crew

Last edited by intlplby : 2007-03-08 at 11:30. Reason: Posts merged