View Single Post
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-10, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Picking up on a six-month-old dialogue, just so I'm clear, is it true that if I have two hosting accounts set up simultaneously (old host + new host), I should lose zero email during a hosting switch? Thanks.
Yes, in that case you should not lose any email, as long as you connect to the old mail server at it's real address (like server47.craphosting.com)

Another option is to get them to close your old account (after making sure to get all the email) and very quickly do the DNS change. Most email servers will try to re-send emails for up to 4 days, so you should get all your email, although some may be delayed. DNS changes usually take up to 24 hours to propagate through the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
As a punitive measure, or for technical reasons? I just assumed the host wouldn't know what had happened until it was over (e.g., I call to cancel my account). I assume they still bill me until I cancel, so it's unclear to me how or why they could get away with rejecting the last of my emails while the switch is finalized. Thanks.
I think torifile was referring to the possibility of them deleting your stuff quickly after cancelling your account. Just make sure to not cancel until after the move, then there should be no problems or stupid human errors.

Converted 07/2005.