Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-16, 12:01

I wasn't attributing anything to you, Robo. I don't think you're of the Jersey Shore set, for crying out loud. Relax.

Chances are, this will never even come to be and everyone who doesn't see the point can all be right in the end. Cool? And I'll take my lumps like a man, when the time comes.

"'scates, you damn idiot...you thought Apple would release a...". Yeah, yeah...

I think this is all splitting hairs, really. Timing it all out in the "who wanted what when" sweepstakes. I don't know if pocket-ability factors in that much, as the current iPad certainly isn't. So there shouldn't be any unreasonable expectations that a 7" version should be. People will either tote it as is, or slide it into a purse, messenger bag, backpack, school bag or brief case or whatever. Like they already do. And for those who are using it around the house 80-90% of the time, it's even less of a concern. Apple surely wouldn't attempt to market it as an "iPad in your pocket" to begin with. So nobody's going to be disappointed that it doesn't go there.

I'm usually a traditionalist and "see the point" kinda guy (I think Apple is right more than wrong, I appreciate their approach, I certainly don't think they should have their fingers into every pie and creating tons of versions of things, etc.). But the notion of a 7" iPad doesn't bother me for some reason, nor does it rub up against all the things I believe are How It Should Be (I'm guilty of that in other areas...namely the iPhone, because it is pocketable and benefits from easy, single-hand/thumb use in so many cases; when that starts to get messed with or altered, I get a little "grrr..." because I think that's an important aspect, after five years of easy use, accessibility, etc.). But I don't put the iPad in that same league because it's intended to be a larger, two-handed device from the start. So it has a little more leeway and flexibility in sizing and design decisions, IMO.

In the way you've not heard anyone asking for it, oddly enough I have. Granted, several of them were kid-focused (but that's not bad, or "wrong" either). And a couple were from big-time Kindle users. The iPod touch is too small (plus they've already got something that size in the form of a phone, Apple's or otherwise). And the iPad, as is, is just bigger and heavier than they prefer, or are accustomed to.

Are they dying for one? No, of course not. But I've had conversations and exchanges with about 5-6 people over the past few months, when this topic comes up. Most of my real-life friends aren't of the geek/tech variety, so when they volunteer or say things, unsolicited, I tend to take notice (because people like us, who camp out at online tech forums, tend to want every crazy-ass thing, or delve into the weeds on every aspect). Often to the point where it's just not even fun anymore...

It's nice to sometimes hear a normal person say what they like/want, out of the blue, and then give their reasons for it (and have them actually make some sense, and hang together). It's refreshing to hear wants/reasons not based on GHz, pixels, Intel chip yields and stuff like that.

I tend to forget that most people in my life don't view all this through the same prism/filters I do. And the stuff I've come to take for granted, they truly do appreciate and put huge marks on. And the stuff I find myself obsessing on, or considering "important", never crosses their minds. Interesting insights.

And since my friends aren't of the Jersey Shore set either, I feel okay putting some value into the things they say or ask about. Most would be happy if their little amped-up, drop/spill-happy monkeys left Mommy and Daddy's iStuff the hell alone for the love of all that is holy. If a smaller, more affordable iPad goes toward that, even better.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-16 at 12:26.