View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-04-02, 10:34

Let's face it, even if Apple were to make a car, it would never compete with the rest of the industry, let alone Tesla. One, Apple never cares to compete on price. If there is ever an Apple car, count on it being $100k+ and never dropping. Basically it would be a car for CEO's and the rich, not the general populous. That's wonderful if you happen to be rich, and want a "Apple" life. I for one am not rich, and don't feel the need to have a complete "Apple" life. So for me it was DOA long before the Tesla 3, because it was never even in the realm of consideration.

Personally I'll be sticking with my late 2000's Camry Hybrid, simply for range (870KM/540Miles), which is great for long distance traveling. Having to stop for 45 minutes ever 200 miles in a 650 mile trip would add a lot of time to traveling vs a 5 minute stop at a gas station once. When electric cars cost less than $25-30k Cdn and have a range of at least 500 miles I might consider it. With that being the case, it looks like I'll be holding onto my hybrid well in to the 2020's.

As for hydro electricity. Yes, we have plenty of them here in BC, for example. Guess what though? Each dam only powers between 500-600k homes with the current demand and prices are skyrocketing (over 10% over the next few years). I cannot even imagine what will happen to prices once more people are driving full EV's. And with temperature change effecting the size of glaciers, the amount of water flow over the dams is dropping, which means we are buying more dirty power from the US during the summer months.