View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 23:32

I just know that there's some of you out there who have been reading the Minecraft threads out of curiosity, but haven't yet had the chance to play the game. Good news! PC Gamer is now providing a free 90 minute demo of the full game. (The only Minecraft you could previously play for free, "Minecraft Classic," is a scaled-down sandbox builder that lacked the "game" aspects of the full game mode, "Survival.") 90 minutes isn't enough to build an airport or skyscraper, but it's enough to try the game out and get hooked. And you can even restart the demo with a new world as many times as you want.

If you want to try it out, I recommend either watching one of the many YouTube tutorials (such as the excellent X's Adventures in Minecraft) or reading the first tutorials on minecraftwiki.net, since the game doesn't include any.

I haven't gotten this into a game in a long time, and so I'm shouting its benefits from the rooftops, and to random patrons at Taco Bell. There's something about Minecraft that makes it both more accessible than a hundred-hour RPG but just as endlessly playable, a potent combination. It's the best value in the industry, hands down. Try it!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong