View Single Post
VOX BARBARA

2004-05-22, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Sometimes (like just now, maybe 5 times before) after unplugging my LaCie USB drive after using CCC, my Home folder appears on my Desktop, despite it not having been there before and despite the "Show Hard Disks on Desktop" box in Finder Prefs not being checked.

Get Info says that the icon that shows up actually represents my Home folder (~40GB), so it is not an alias and it is not a corrupted icon for the LaCie (which is now unplugged).

When I clear the "Show CDs, DVDs and iPods on Desktop" box in Finder Prefs, the Home Folder icon disappears, but then when I check the box again it returns. But obviously, my Home folder is not removable media so it should not show up like this. So wtf?

A relaunch of the Finder does nothing to remedy the situation. Only a Restart clears this up, but, obviously, thats a crap solution. Any ideas?

Thanks
That sounds pretty weird to me. I never happened to see anything similar like you have discribed. Does this phenomen occur in combination with your LaCie USB drive only?

What do the log files tell you? (console.app)
Did you perform the usual housekeeping, repairing permissions, perhaps resetting parameter ram (hold CMD + OPTION + P + R while you start up the comp.)?

Perhaps "Activity Monitor.app" (located in the app/utility folder) could tell you, what kind of system processes are involved? Kill the processes which seem to be odd to you. Don't worry about that, the worst thing that could happen, you gonna be logged out for a moment

Well, just a few ideas to start with.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
--Philip K. Dick