View Single Post
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-24, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
I have a feeling that you used CCC to "clone" your Home folder to your LaCie (probably as a backup attempt). It seems that your computer is getting "confused" and seeing the entire LaCie disk as your "Home" folder when the LaCie is plugged in.

The Desktop folder in your Finder sidebar, lost its custom icon, most likely because your "Home" Desktop may have been un-blessed.
I don't really think that the computer got "confused" like you describe (though that's what I originally thought, too) because, the Home Folder icon is still visible on the desktop and accessible when the LaCie is disconnected.

Anyway, I copped-out last nite and restarted my computer. As I thought would happen, the offending icon has disappeared and all seems quiet on the Home Front (heh).

However, I did follow your instructions FormerLurker err... FFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Here's what you do - restart if you've plugged in the LaCie since your last restart. Check your Users folder and make sure that your User has the proper icons on it, and that all your documents and data are up to date (if you've been running with the LaCie hooked up, some of your most recent data may actually be on the external).

Once you are SURE that you have everything on your computer, you should Repair Permissions. Then you should restart.

After you restart, plug in the LaCie and use Disk Utility to reformat. If you can't, then select the disk and Get Info in the Finder, and check the box for Ignore Permissions on this volume.
1) Last nite I restarted
2) This morning I repaired permissions (Disk Util)
3) Then I updated pre-binding (Terminal: sudo update_prebinding -root / -force)
4) Then I restarted
5) Then I reformatted the back-up volume (one of two volumes) on the LaCie
6) Then I backed-up again to the LaCie

Everything seemed normal. Many of the permissions that needed repairing began with the location /Library/Caches - I assume that was because I recently cleared Caches. Most of the stuff that needed re-binding (that needed its pre-binding updated?) was to do with the networked printer in the computer room that I use remotely - ie as per usual. Number of files unsuccessfully prebound was 70/1498 - absolutely normal (btw, is that a high number, low or average?).

That's about it. As I said, the problem is gone, so I'll just have to see if it comes back again.

One last thing, everytime before I back-up to my LaCie, I reformat the back-up volume. Is that a good or a bad idea? Is it necessary with CCC. I seem to remember that there is some sort of plug-in that allows you to do "sync" back-ups - just back-up whatever has been changed since the last back-up. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help

bouncy bouncy