View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-11-11, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Computer as gaming rig makes for a baffling waste of time and money. Get a wii for 1/10th the cost and 10X the fun.
Fallacy #1: gaming on a computer is expensive
If you are going to have a computer anyway, it costs as little as $100 to get a decent graphics card and start playing.
$200 graphics on top of a regular quality email/web/wordprocessing box, and hardware-wise nothing prevents you from being a star player in a top FPS gaming clan.
So Wii can in fact cost three times more. Before accessories. The games are going to cost more as well.

For Mac guys it has been expensive because for the most part they have had to get a whole separate computer. With Boot Camp this might change, but the entry level graphics in iMac should be supplemented with decent graphics in xomething xlse.. Mac Pro, while nice, is just out of most people's league and costs 2.5 times as much as a Windows box with similar gaming performance.

Fallacy #2: console and PC gaming are comparable
Maybe they'll be comparable when there are free development tools for consoles, you can run games and mods you downloaded off the net and play them over the net, game patches, trainers, addons, your own servers with your own rules and scripts and white/blacklists and tournaments, play MMORPG, realtime strategy, hardcore strategy, simulators other than driving, and that's just as much as I can get off the top of my head. And hardware: there is no console equivalent of laptop. Handhelds are good, but different.

I have worked as a PC and mobile game developer, my current gaming happens exclusively on PS2 and I think Wii is quite possibly going to be the best next gen console. I'm by no means a "fan" of any particular system. I love the games. Objectively every one of the three major console systems, both in their previous and next gen incarnation, have had something going for them that the other two do not match. The PC even more so.