View Single Post
rhapsodyosx

2005-04-21, 16:10

Maya on the mini, lol.. well yes, i am hoping it will work... i'm not expecting anything on par with a G5, but considering that the mini is very similar to some models (past) of the powerbooks and i have seen people use maya on those machines. I'm a student and in a crunch, so i'm looking for a machine that will hold me over a little bit, or else i would sink a chunk of change in the Powermacs or iMacs.

I am just a little worried over the drive performance. I have a question...when you use the external firewire setup, i would image that the rate isn't as fast as the internal ATA bus on the machines. Too bad apple didnt put firewire 800 on these things. I know sometimes as well that the type of ATA (IDE) to Firewire controller such as Oxford 911 (?) chips can make a difference. I know some of the drives from Wiebetech, use that chip, which is supposed to be very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
More info on my setup.
I have a 2 bay external firewire 400 enclosure that I got from ebay. The sellers "name" is superldg and here is a similar item .
EDIT: forgot to add price. 2 bay is under $100 and 4 bay is under $200. Compare to firewire depot and smile all the way to the bank :smokey: . END EDIT
I've had great service from this guy. Disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with superldg or his business.
Anyway, I'm running 2 Maxtor 250GB HD's (1 as boot drive and 1 as music/file/video storage) and I am very happy.

I have not measured any times. Everything is by "feel".

Boot time is the same.

Photoshop is snappier when running from the Firewire drive. I don't do any "intense" PS work, so I'm not sure how things will be when you are running filters on a huge file.

Maya. Nope, don't use that one. But please, Maya on a mini?

Command line stuff (CP, RM) is much faster with the firewire hd.

small-medium (100-100,000 records) mysql database access is much faster with the firewire hd.

I have a bunch of perl scripts that I run (mostly reading in a file, parsing the data and writing the data to either multiple files on disk or into a database) and the perl scripts run much faster with the firewire hd.