View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-09, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
In one year, AMD has gone from 2.0 GHz to 2.4 GHz.
In one year, Intel has gone from 3.2 GHz to 3.4 GHz.

Really, man, what were your expectations? This jump is humongous. Did you somehow expect IBM to vault over these guys? 3 GHz by January looks pretty likely to me. If that disappoints you, then I'm speechless.
Well there you go then. I figure 3GHz by January too, now.

My "expectations" (even though a) I'm not buying and b) I wasn't basing any sort of decision on it and c) don't really care one way or the other, since I'm set with my PowerBook) were what Jobs mentioned. Am I offended or wringing my hands that they're not at 3GHz? Not at all. I honestly never expected that. I did, however, figure the new low-end might be 2.0 or 2.2. I don't really keep up with AMD and Intel, since...well, I just don't give a shit. I wasn't aware of their pokey climbing. That puts it into perspective. Thanks, I guess.

It's VERY cool that all models are now dual processor.

Hey, don't get me wrong: if I was a total Photoshop monkey and/or 3/4 of my income came from home-based freelance work, I'd get online TODAY and order the dual 1.8GHz, hands down! They're all fine machines and I'd be proud to own any of them.

I just figured the bottom/low-end would've skootched up a bit more than it did, that's all. The 2.0 > 2.5 jump? No complaints here...that IS impressive (since I was expecting the new high-end to be 2.6, and I can fudge a GHz or so.

If you're speechless that I'm "disappointed" (more surpised and curious than flat-out angry disappointment), then I'm speechless. I'm speechless that you're speechless about my speechlessness. Fucking speechless, man.