View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-06, 11:10

Sorry but my point is not to minimize what happened that day. What I'm perceiving here is that everyday people (who most likely did not know anyone personally who died on 9/11) are giving his friend not-so-friendly looks because he's celebrating his birthday. That's just wrong. To expect people to always be sad on that day or not live their lives the way they would've if nothing happened (or if it happened on 9/10), is wrong.

I have compassion for the people who lost a loved on that day; they can give all the looks they want, everyone takes time to get over their grief. But I don't have compassion for a person who is just remembering what happened and putting on a somber face and expecting everyone else to do the same.

I won't apologize for that. Think of it; if we were to be somber and non-celebratory every day of the year where something horrible in history (or our personal history) happened, what would the year be like? We'd all be depressed the whole time. You have to move on and continue living the way the people who lost their lives would want you to (and yes it's cliche but also very true IMO).

Tell you one thing, if I had died in those towers and had the power to project my wishes to people who lived to see another day... I sure as hell wouldn't want them moping around three years later. In this particular context, I'd want exactly the opposite. I would be more inclined to scold the people acting mournful (assuming they lost no one close to them), then the person acting happy on their birthday. I mean Jeezus, common already.

...into the light of a dark black night.