View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-18, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I’m all for killing the yearly, on-the-clock updates and, instead, focus on stabilizing/solidifying the stuff they already have. There doesn’t need to be a half-baked “feature orgy” every 12 months when history has shown that things don’t level out/get stable/reliable for many until months after that initial release.
Yeah.

With this year's cycle, they seem to have moved a lot more features to smaller releases, perhaps because they anticipated that the major release would be even reliable if they put all of those in. Just look at this support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210642

Almost every single point release of Catalina adds features! And we already know so will the next one, 10.15.5; the battery management stuff is coming.

I think that's good. Leave the major release for big architectural changes.

But, regardless of that, they need to work on the quality. A situation where people only consider Apple OS releases reliable in the few months before summer right before the cycle starts all over again is bad, especially for a premium brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
At this point they seem to be chasing stuff/gimmicks nobody is really asking for, just to have something to list in the “new features” column every year. I’d rather see one solid, dialed-in OS release every 18-24 months than one iffy, pain-in-the-ass one every 12 months, Just Because. I don’t even think anyone is truly asking for/demanding yearly releases. Now that they’re free and available via download, they’re not anything anyone has to budget for or take time to go out and buy and go through some dedicated installation process as was the case years ago. Just release the new OS when it’s ready and more dialed-in.
Annual may indeed just be too rapid, but I don't know about gimmick. Not every feature is for everyone, sure.