View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-19, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Question: since this new SE has the A13 (and, I imagine, all the speed, graphics, etc.-related features that entails), will it actually have a little more "oomph", being deployed on a "lesser" phone (smaller display, fewer pixels, less overall bells and whistles, etc.) than the flagship models)?

I wonder if the SE going to feel a bit peppier and "unleashed" than the 11 models, sporting the same processor? A lot fewer pixels to push, etc., but I don't know if that sort of thing works this way. Will it be like sticking a Mustang engine in a Focus, a bit overpowered for the different thing it's going in?

I guess I would've asked the same thing in 2016, with the A9 from the 4.7" and 5.5" 6s iPhones going into the 4" SE...

Assuming everything in the A13 is the same across all the phones using them, would't a smaller, lower-resolution phone without all the high-end cameras, FaceID sensors, etc. have a bit of extra muscle at its disposal, and maybe feel/seem a tad snappier than the higher-end models? Or is that just a stupid question? I don't know how this end of it all works. Obviously.
So, short answer is yes. Yes, this is likely the same A13 as in the 11 and in the 11 Pro, and yes, to an extent, pushin ga smaller display and generally having less stuff to worry about (such as additional cameras) leaves the A13 in the SE to do more.

If you look at the iPad 3, it introduced the Retina Display, and many who had it seemed dissatisfied with how underpowered it was. The iPad 4, which followed just half a year after, seemed to rectify that. (So arguably, the 3 shouldn't have launched at all; it was a premature product.)

The 3, being Retina, had to push four times the pixels (2 times horizontally and 2 times vertically), which means the GPU needs to be a lot more powerful.

The reverse is true here, as you guessed. But I don't think it will be a huge difference in practice. At least for now, the A13 on the 11 and 11 Pro seems to have a ton of headroom.

That could change, though. Once we're at iOS 17 or something, the A13 will be a bit sluggish, and that (presumed, likely) extra headroom on the SE would help. So amusingly, the cheapest iPhone you can buy today might also have the best longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
One would have to conduct tests to be sure. I wonder if it is lower binned silicon though, that isn’t deemed fit for the higher tier products. Meaning it cannot hit or sustain the same clock speeds per given voltage. It’s not unusual for companies to do this in lower priced units, rather than throwing the chips in the trash.
The SE 2016 reached basically exactly the same benchmark results as the 6S, so it probably wasn't. And I'm guessing they'll do the same here.