View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-04-19, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
See, I didn't even know that was a thing. So that's probably what goes on. It's probably all a wash.

Plus, it wouldn't look good if a $400 phone just "felt" faster/zippier than a $700+ one. I'm sure there's stuff in place that keeps the SE from just totally running wild and making the pricier models look bad in any way.
That typically how silicon chip manufacturing works. That is why the high end chips in a product stack launch first, with the lower end models coming later. Example: Most 9th gen Intel consumer desktop chips start out as say a i9 9900s, with better binned units becoming 9900ks, and ones with bad hyperthreading pathways becoming, becoming i7 9700s, ones with bad cores become i5 9600s, ones that cannot hit high higher clock speeds become the i5 9500, i5 9400, i3 9300, i3 9100 etc. Ones with poorly operating or failed IGP's become KF chips, with disabled IGPs.

Not saying Apple does this, as chucker mentioned, but it is possible. The cost savings most likely come from the older designs, screen, touchID etc, but we won't know till the phone is out there for testing.

Last edited by PB PM : 2020-04-19 at 13:37.