View Single Post
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2006-11-10, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Powerdoc: I see what you're saying now. I might agree with your argument as you just described it, but it's wait and see at this point, since no one out in the real world other than reviewers (many of whom are afraid to give bad reviews) has the camera.

"Resolving Power" might be the phrase I would use to describe what you're talking about, but there is no official term, so I can understand why you used "resolution" earlier. So IOW, I concur that the camera might have the resolving power of some 8MP cameras when standing 6 feet away from a chart, particularly non-DSLR models with fixed lenses like the Canon S and G series. But I still question whether the images will have the "enlargeability" (new word!) of a true 8MP DSLR shot (from a good lens) when shooting real world subjects. Especially with the noise trade-off, as you mentioned. Enlarging noise... not so good. I guess we'll find out how that camera's images stand up to interpolation.

Either way it's disappointing to me that the Foveon sensor itself is not very "scalable" it seems. I had hoped that one day many cameras might use next generation Foveon sensors that were in the 8 to 12 MP (actual) ballpark, along with all the other benefits it brings. This chip was under development at least 4 years and it's still in the same spot basically. Not encouraging for the future.
It seems that we almost agree now.

The foveon could be a very nice portrait or landscape camera (I have seen some great pics, color wize from the previous sigma SD 10 on the web), but unfortunately, I am not ready (like many other people) to invest in a niche market.

There is no problems for interpolating foveon files, or any great pics DSLR files. I have seen examples of 6 mpixels cameras, printed in A2 who look very nice (D70). If the initial file is very sharp, you can enlarge it without any problems. People have reported an amazing butterfly giant poster coming from a nikon D2H (at a photo expo). So personally, and from the advice from many advanced amateurs or pro, it's not really a big deal

If Sigma was making, Canon or NIkon foveon camera, I would have been interested, for some kind of pics. Unluckily, you can only use Sigma for sigma cameras.

Currently my 5D does the job

Last edited by Powerdoc : 2006-11-10 at 14:39.