View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-09, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
you don't come up with the kind of stuff he does without having a twisted mind / dabbling in the occult (I would guess).
I disagree. I'd say he's a social genius. He made a product that became an instant hit and is still revered by gamers around the world. For several years Doom was the game that all other FPS's were judged by. Sure, part of this was for its technical accomplishment, but not nearly as many folks would have played it if instead of demons you were shooting pink bunnies.

Putting the player as a lone hero up against the very legions of Hell raises the game's status to "epic" proportions rather than "some dude shooting stuff." It puts you against the ultimate, unrelenting enemy that is evil through and through. If that's not a good game setup, I don't know what is.

It's like Wolfenstein and the Nazis. The bad guy is an ultimate evil that has no good traits. Again, perfect setup for a game where you go around killing bad guys left and right. No remorse. Are the guys at Id that came up with Wolfenstein sick fucks for plastering swastikas everywhere and making a game out of a tragic period in our history that took millions of human lives?

By the same accord, if Carmack is twisted, what do you say about the people that make horror movies? They have to come up with some really sick, gory ways of mutilating people physically and psychologically. Does that make those writers equally screwed up in the head? Or does it make them really smart for knowing how to push the viewer's buttons and illicit just the right kind of response?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.