View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-16, 11:59

That's definitely coming, we're just not there yet. I'm pretty sure the "affordable" iPhone, 3-5 years from now, will be centered around the full-face design, and (hopefully) everything across the board (the flagships) won't be as pricey either.

My Mom and a few friends have a post-X iPhone (FaceID, etc.) and as much as I should like them, something about them just doesn't sit well/feel right with me. Maybe because I've been a home button-based user from the get-go, summer 2007, and that just feels like "my iPhone"? The "chin" and forehead really don't bother me...I just see it as "how the iPhone is". Maybe if my cheap ass had bought an iPhone X, Xs or Xr in recent years I'd feel differently, but I've just not made that leap (and I won't, as long as they're going to go for $700+).

I'm sure at some point I'll have to move to that other design once this current SE serves its time and every iPhone in Apple's lineup is full-face (including the SE model). But I can put it off for another four years, after yesterday's announcement.

Something about FaceID annoys/creeps me out vs. TouchID. Go figure. I don't want my phone looking at/"recognizing" me, for some reason. I'll put my thumb/finger on that round thing if I want to use you, thankyouverymuch...until then, bug off. Again, I'm just old-school about things I guess...

PS - I noticed all three models have a black face. Is that new with this SE, or did the 7/8 do it as well? I've had white/silver iPhones since 2012 (iPhone 5 and SE) and the faces/frames were white). I know the 5c had black face frames (which clashed horribly with all those ice cream/candy shop colors...those definitely should've been white). I think the silver iPhone 7 and 8 had the white face frame. I've actually come to like it...seems to make the iPhone "disappear" in a dim/darkened room, you just see/notice the illuminated display (and not a stark white frame around it).

Honestly, if Apple just wants to update the SE - in this body design/screen size - for eternity, putting in the current flagship-level chip at each refresh (every 2-3 years?), I'd be 110% cool with that. If I could have an A18 iPhone SE in 4-5 years for $399 and this exact same package, I'm happy as a clam. Feel free to spare me the gimmicks, buzzwords and the more dipshit, youth/hipster-oriented "marquee features" (sorry, but I'm never going to get my head around "selfie culture" and a whole feature set/technology built around that goofiness; yes, you can pout...we all saw it the first 782 times, sweetie) and you've got my $$$ and support until the day I keel over.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-16 at 12:52.