View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-22, 17:06

When you mentioned the quadratic formula the other day, I reached deep into the recesses of my memory and tried to recall it without googling. This is about as far as I could remember...

Considering that I haven't used the darn thing in at least ten years, I'd give myself a passing grade. The one thing I absolutely remembered without a doubt was the "something - 4ac" under the radical; the rest of it was pretty sketchy, but I could picture the "shape" of it in my head... like I knew there was something left and beneath the radicand, but I couldn't see what. Weird how things like that stick around in the old noggin.

I loved taking math classes when I was in school, but a few years into college, I really struggled through engineering calculus 2 and 3. That coincided with my "don't give a fuck" period and I dropped the ball on any more math. I kept all of my stupidly expensive calculus and linear algebra textbooks, though, and after graduating I used to tell myself I'd open them back up one day for a refresher. Hasn't happened yet! But they're still sitting RIGHT OVER THERE in the corner of my room.

I actually kind of wish I had a way to stretch those stills and apply some mid-level maths in my daily life. A few years ago I got to play around with matrices and FFTs for a brief problem-solving period at work, and it was a lot of fun. Those were good times.

Good luck, Papa Ken!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.