View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-03-12, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

Yes, Edison was manipulative and not necessarily ethical by today's standards.

But...

Was Tesla really the better scientist/inventor?
Unquestionably, at least based on my understandings, which are consistent with The Oatmeal.

Quote:
Were Tesla's experiments and inventions truly a "lost road" for civilization?
Possibly, but it's irrelevant IMO. There are 1000 "lost roads" that all kinds of smart people would have led us down (economically, politically, otherwise) if only the narrow-minded, stunted masses weren't there to say "Hey you can't do that! That's different than what we believe! We don't like different!" Sometimes those people break through, usually they end up in prison and die / end up killed. See also: many people doing the whole "the earth is not flat and we are not the center of the universe, a-holes" crowd. It's only later when we look back do we realize how stupid we are.

Quote:
Is Glenn Beck full of shit on a daily basis?
Yes and I hate it when fuckheads like this enter into the realm of serious "discussion of advacement" where they have no place and only serve to muddle useful ideas and divide people instead of creating understanding. I would much prefer Glenn Beck be on the side of Edison and all other "traditional wisdom heroes" that turn out to be not so heroic after all. By taking the right side in this, he gives fuel to people on the fence about him that "hey he might be right about other stuff" when he's about as far from right on most things, as one can get.

Quote:
Can you bring more to the discussion in regard to Edison and Tesla?
Not being a historian, no. But I'm eager for those who have read the requisite biographies and the like to educate us.

...into the light of a dark black night.