View Single Post
JohnnyTheA

2011-10-15, 23:44

Regarding:
Quote:
Based on my conversations with participants at Occupy Wall Street, my sense is that the ultimate demand could be a radical reform to get money out of politics...
I really like the idea. But there is a really really big stumbling block to doing that. A little detail called the First Amendment. If I am richer than you, and I want to run ads all over the place (otherwise known as speaking), I have that right. You really can't limit me. You can go and raise YOUR money and run ads (which is what the unions and Soros-folk do). But if there is a huge cabal of rich folk, there isn't much you can do to stop them from "speaking". And really, there shouldn't really be if you think about it. The minute you start carving up the first amendment, where will it stop?

Other than amending the constitution there is little you can really do except "maybe" have state-funded elections. That way it might level the playing field. Even then, there would be a stigma applied. Also, if you look at the ONE example of state funded elections we DO have (that presidential fund), most candidates waive this because the big corporate interests can generate so much more money.

Like it or not, Obama will probably be the most bought-off corporate candidate in the history of elections. My only issue with the Occupy folk, is they are blind to this "because behind the scenes" the old guard of the far-left wing is supporting/organizing them. And THAT is truly discrediting and sad. This really is starting to look like Germany in the 20s... Masses of pissed off people who are controlled behind the scenes by people who really have a huge lust for power.

Oh, and one other thing. That park they are in is F-ing private property. If the owner of that private property wants those people out, then they should get the H*** out.
Again, take the protest to DC where it belongs...

JTA