View Single Post
zippy
Veteran Member

2017-08-22, 18:50

This thread was getting too old.

A friend from work and I are currently on a Scotch hunt. He's a long time fan of Macallan and particularly liked the Cask Strength bottle - which they no longer make. Coupled with the escalating price of Macallan's other offerings, he's interested in finding other options. He even decided to move beyond his single malt requirement. Me, I'm newer to the Scotch scene so am still kind of feeling my Oates, or grains or whatevers. I've had a few drams of his bottles over the years, some I've liked, others not.

I don't have what you would call a 'sophisticated palate' for this. But I know what I like and don't and that works well enough for me.

Sooo...
Right this very instant, I'm having a glass of Monkey Shoulder cut with 1/2 tsp of water. It's tasty, and if you haven't ever tried it, I'd recommend you give it a go at a mere $25-30 per bottle. It seems to be a smooth and pleasant (sweet even) 'everyday-easy-to-share' three blend Scotch. My buddy thinks it tastes like banana cream pie. I can kinda see that, but not quite as specifically as he does.

Also in the cupboard that I've been trying though I haven't developed a complete or detailed opinion on all of them;
Maccallan 12 double cask - haven't had for a while, but I think I liked it
Macallan 15 - I like
Glenfiddich 15 Solera - I like - my buddy bought this and gave it to me because I liked it more than he
Oban Little Bay - prefer the Oban 14 based on a glass I had previously. This one is OK though.
Aberlour A'bunadh - I like this well enough, but my friend likes it more so it's going to him.
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie - not a fan. I will give it another glass or two to change my mind, but find it very chemically tasting. Like floor cleaner I imagine.
Clynelish 14 - this is good normally, but excellent considering I got it for $24 instead of typical $60-85 range.
Famous grouse - OK cheap blended Scotch, but not as good as Monkey Shoulder so probably won't buy again
Famous grouse Smoky black - way too smoky for my tastes.
Ron Burgundy Great Odin's Raven - Didn't expect much, bought more as a joke and it lived up to my lack of expectations. Too smoky - like Black Grouse
Pig's nose - Decent, maybe slightly better than Famous grouse. Still not as pleasant as Monkey Shoulder
4 samples of Glenmorangie - all seem OK, nothing super exciting, but nothing objectionable
The original
Nectar D'òr
Lasanta 12
Quinta Ruban 12
Sample of Glenfiddich 12
Sample of Johnnie Walker Red - was OK, but nothing particularly interesting

Irish whiskeys
Powers - I enjoy this. Dad used to buy it and he passed away in January so it's a sentimental fav for sure.
Tyrconnell - Not my thing. Probably the oldest and fullest bottle in the cupboard at this point

Other Whiskey
Stranahan's - I like, nice cinnamon like burn
Buffalo Trace - was decent. Just recently finished it making Old Fashioneds. Any suggestions on a better bourbon for that would be taken happily

At my buddies house, he has, and I've triedcan't remember all the details or bottles)
Balevenie double cask - decent, relatively smooth
Balvenie 15 - kicks you in the mouth up front, but I think I like it based on the quick taste I had
Arran Malt 14? - a bit harsh, but I've only had a quick, small glass
Glenfarclas 17
Others I can't remember.

I'll try to come back with opinions on things as I form them up. We are looking to buy some samples online of some more items that we either can't find locally or just don't want to spend so much on without knowing. We've already spent more on unknowns than either of our wives appreciate. . Particularly, we are interested in getting some Glendronach 18, Talisker 18, and Macallan Edition No. 2.

Our end goal is to each have a 3 or 4 bottle set. I think the cheap tier is set for both of us with Monkey Shoulder. Now We'd ike to settle on a $50-80 choice, an $80-125 choice, and a top shelf, special occasion bottle at $125+. I think the Oban 14 will be my choice in the $80 range.

Bottoms up!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!