View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-02-10, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I haven't seen any of season 3 yet, but I've seen all of seasons 1 and 2 and, hoo boy.
Same. After the first couple of episodes of Picard season 1, the rest of the run has been squarely in hate watching territory for me.

I'm avoiding reviews of season 3, but my hopes aren't high, and I expect I'll be sailing the high seas eventually if/when I decide I want to hate watch season 3.

My wife and I are currently watching all of TNG in order. I've seen it many times, but she's only ever seen a few episodes that I had hand-picked and shared with her over the years, and she's loving it, despite or maybe because some of it is so cheesy and dated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I've got a few friends who love Star Trek in all its forms and even they were never big on this show. I don't understand Trek lore enough to know/understand all the "why" and "how", but it's odd to see these three people not dutifully lapping up anything/everything Star Trek.

"Who are you, and what did you do to my friend?!"

But, then, I look at me and my beloved Star Wars, and just how little of an overall rip I give about it anymore, outside of the original trilogy and, to a lesser degree, The Mandalorian (which starts season three in a few weeks, I just learned a few days ago; I'd honestly kinda forgotten about it, which tends to happen when a show goes 2,740 weeks between seasons).
Imagine if the studio was hell-bent on bringing Harrison Ford as Han Solo back to the big screen only to have his character's son murder him.

Wait, bad example. Let me start over.

Imagine if the studio was hell-bent on bring Harrison Ford back as Han Solo and proceed with the patricide, but since you know he's going to be in the next movie, because the movies are now just called HAN instead of Star Wars, mere minutes later, they miraculously and effortlessly revive his soul into a cloned body that was conveniently sitting off-screen but is just as old and frail and tired-of-your-shit as the original body, and everyone pretends like absolutely nothing happened and it was just another day in the office. In the next installment, Han meets up with Chewie for a few minutes, and through their conversation, we learn that Chewie's parents are actually a pair of thousand-year-old birds, and with a wink and a nod, you learn that that's where the Millennium Falcon got its name. No, it wasn't named that before Chewie came on board. You must be misremembering things. Clearly it was always named after his parents. Anyway, even though we know Chewie and Luke and Leia are still just a short hyperjump away at any time, we never see them except for a couple of walk-in cameos, and instead Han is bumming around the galaxy with his new best friend who he just met last week, and this friend's only personality traits are being hostile and toxic to everyone and everything, but Han treats him like his BFF. These two have been peas in a pod, inseparable and always have been, and always will be. No one could tear them apart. Chewie? Who's Chewie? No, no, Han's soulmate is, umm, let's call him Grimace. So, Han and Grimace discover that actually the original death star, hey do remember that from a few decades ago?, was actually actually designed and built by Han Solo while he was working night shifts to pick up a few extra credits, and it's actually still zooming around the galaxy blowing up planets every other Tuesday. Don't think too hard about that; it just is. So, as old clone Han and Grimace are trying to send the death star back to the Phantom Zone, they run into Watto, and they just have the best conversation reminiscing about the old days and all the instrumental things the two of them did to establish the Rebel Alliance and deploy rebel shock troops across the quadrant. I did mention that Han and Grimace aren't flying around in the Falcon in these movies, right? They're puttering around in a flying school bus. It's an homage to the Space Balls Winnebago, but the studio didn't have the rights to that, and they decided to make something that vaguely resembled the shape but was, by studio decree, always at least 20% different. Or at least, they're in a magic school bus for the first movie. In the next movie, we get a sweeping space shot of them pulling into a shipyard and approaching a shiny tricked out YT-69420 Corellian Freighter, but they actually decide to trade in the school bus for a space VW van that they use to get to the next planet, and then they spend the rest of the movie driving around the planet's surface in a 2008 Ford F-150. Hey, the studio is tight on cash, and daddy needs some more product placement. Anyway, one thing leads to another, Grimace straps down and murders Yoda because we need a reason to have some dark gritty emotions for a few minutes, and at the end of the movie, we learn that it was actually Han's mother who has been piloting the death star around the galaxy. She loves him and misses him, and all it takes is him blowing a kiss through the window for her to turn back into a pumpkin and un-explode the five thousand planets that were in her wake.

Tune in for the third installment when Luke and Leia and Jar Jar and Chewie and Artoo go on one last adventure to find Sebulba's uncle Owen! Chewie is a pacifist now! Character development! Luke hates Jedi and the force! Conflict!!!

And oh yeah, since all the budget is going into the HAN trilogy, Andor and The Mandalorian have never been made, and even though the showrunners have some interesting ideas, they've been put on the back burner for the next few years. We'll have to see how well audiences respond to the HAN trilogy first before we can commit to making any of those shows.

edit: ALSO also... welcome back, Paul! I feel like it's been a minute since I saw you 'round these parts.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.