View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-03-09, 21:49

My Mom is trying to give me her never-used 24" external display she bought to use with her MacBook Air at her desk. Thing is, she only uses her Air on her living room couch, bed and sometimes other places, but never (rarely) her desk. So it's just sitting there. When I asked about it last weekend, she said "I never use it...take it if you want."

I never do anything without learning about it all first and seeing what's what is worth knowing/realizing, otherwise I would've brought it home last weekend.

So I've never had this setup before. Is there anything I should know - heating, strain, etc. from doing this? Do I need to keep the MacBook Pro open and do the two-screen thing, or can I close it and use it as a really large/flat MacBook Air? I may get my paws on it tomorrow, certainly by Sunday. like her Air, I'll be plugging into the thunderbolt port on the side. It's a DV to HDMI into the back of the display itself, I believe. I don't even recall the name. It was about $119 at Office Depot and it looks pretty nice, but it's not Retina or anything super nice/fancy, I'm sure, at that pricing. I was just mainly interested in the larger size/readability impact.

My MacBook is an Early 2013 Retina 13" MacBook Pro w/ 2.6GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5 and Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 1536 MB (just copying this info directly from the "About This Mac" window. The machine itself has 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, for whatever that may matter.

Thanks. It would be nice to have 24" of display on certain tasks/projects, although I'm comfortable with the 13" Retina for sure. It may not be worth the hassle, if it turns out there is any.