View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-03-14, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Ouch. Even I know that's not good!
To clarify, though, I'm saying it's more closely linked both in timeline and spirit to those four movies (Generations, First Contact, Resurrection, Nemesis) than to the series. So, in terms of timeline and character development, Nemesis is the closest to where Picard starts off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
All my Trek-fan buddies despise that movie. It's the one thing they kinda seem to agree on. Is it the Rise of Skywalker of the Star Trek movies? Pointless and incoherent? Stupidly written and everything (including the kitchen sink) tossed into the mix, looking for a reason to exist?
I can't comment on Star Wars, and resent that comparison.

Nemesis has a lot of problems, including having Troi as an entirely pointless rape victim, or having Picard drive a dune buggy because Patrick Stewart loves dune buggies, to the whole thing being incoherent, to the director kind of being an idiot.

Quote:
According to Burton and several other members of the main cast, Baird kept referring to LeVar as "Laverne" throughout production and thought the character of Geordi La Forge was an alien.
Like, no, you don't have to know as a random person that La Forge is not an alien. But when you're directing a movie where he's one of the main characters (forth in the credits!), maybe have a vague understanding of the character your film is portraying, and show some respect for the actor.

It's a bummer that this was the final TNG film (though that's not entirely the fault of this film; it was simply time for Star Trek to take a break). And now we basically get three seasons of… quasi-films. I wish they were edited differently (season 1 tries to do too much; cut out half the subplots and make it six episodes; season 2 is just dumb and way too long; season 3? Jury's out), but there's elements in the show that make me go "yeah, I missed this character". Worf, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeah, soooo… the Nemesis production was so bad that it sent Tom Hardy, its main villain before the Nolan movies made him super famous, spiraling into a depression where he reportedly contemplated suicide. I'm not kidding! The official unofficial Star Trek wiki Memory Alpha puts it somewhat gently (link):
While we're bashing that film and this may be related, there's a deleted scene where Troi is raped… again. The director seems oddly bummed the scene had to be cut out. Now, yes, the camera technique seems good. But Marina Sirtis was done dirty, again.

OTOH, another scene that was deleted IMHO should've been left in. It shows Picard and Data discussing family, loss, etc. And season 1 of Picard builds on this big time.