Thread: Wwdc 2018
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-06-06, 12:33

There's rarely a rave review when someone changes your keyboard. We are creatures of habit and muscle memory. The new thing takes some getting used to, but so did the "old" keyboard when it showed up with the 2006 MacBooks. It was "terrible" when compared to the [even] older aluminum MBP keyboard—until it was forced upon us with the 2008 MB Pro releases. Now, that keyboard is "the best one ever!" and the new one is … terrible!

We've sold hundreds of these things, and so far I have only had one major complaint and two or three minor ones. Otherwise, I haven't heard anything bad from our customers. Plenty of negative reviews online, but that represents the culmination of all the negative people on earth, rather than the greater collective of positive people who generally don't express their good experiences on rant sites.

Of note: We do see more keyboard issues in service, but have only had to replace a couple of them. The rest have only needed a blast of air to solve the problem. Yes, cookie crumbs are more problematic when the key tolerances are smaller. Imagine that!

Of note 2: The new (future) Touch Bar keyboard will be nothing more than a large glass panel with no place for crumbs. Still, methinks the same people will still complain because DIFFERENT!

Of note 3: My dad grew up with a mechanical typewriter, and complained lots that Apple II keyboards didn't feel as positive. Moral of the story: The keyboard you have today will never be as good as the one you remember from the glory days. That's human nature.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)