View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-15, 12:19

I've been poking around the web this morning, trying to find one good, positive review of this thing.

I can't.

I could tell by the trailers this might be a cheese-fest with slangy-talking young girl apprentice, farting baby Jabba, more stuff we've already seen (Jedis and clone troopers fighting battle droids), etc. And every review I'm reading is confirming all this (and much more). The music, sound, CGI, voice work, story/plot, etc. are all lacking, according to the 10-12 reviews I've read today.

How sad. What "could've been" vs. "what was made". Once again.

I was, early on, a bit amped to see this new theatrical release out today. But now, not so much.

I still don't get how anyone (Lucas, etc.) thought this is stuff to (once again) mine: face it, we already know what happens to everyone (this takes place between episodes 2 and 3), so any "danger" we see here involving Padme or Anakin, or any "threat" posed by Dooku and others, can't be real or heavy because we know who lives and survives into the third installment, and their ultimate fate. And with a full feature film (Episode II) and an animated TV series already devoted to this chunk of "Star Wars" history, why in the world is it worth visiting again? It's boring, all the faceless clone troopers shooting all the faceless battle droids, with a few Jedis and light sabers tossed into the mix. And all the exposition and political talk (senate, trade federation, councils, etc.). The originals never got mired down into that...they scooted along nicely, even "Jedi".

We've seen this. Quite a bit. Already. Years ago.

It's gonna be sad to see a "Star Wars" movie hit the theater and met with such "meh" or outright disdain. But Lucas & Co. have brought it on themselves, I believe. The only good thing that might come out of it (a genuine "Star Wars"-branded failure, which I believe is this movie's fate, after a so-so opening weekend) is the possibility that it'll smack Mr. Lucas in the face a bit and cause him to realize how far he's drifted). But, then again, if Jake Lloyd, Jar Jar and all the rest didn't do it, why should this?

Anyone going to see this, post your reviews and thoughts here. I'd love to hear some more "real world" input (I've read about eight "professional" reviews, and about 2-3 "regular person" write-ups).