View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-15, 16:53

Yeah, that review is even funnier than Harry's. I should've linked it earlier as well.

A sad day for those of us who grew up on, and loved, this stuff. It's just different now. Yeah, we're different (I'm 30 years older, after all), but, as I said earlier, the original stuff didn't treat us like morons. And it didn't hinge solely on "cute and sassy". The acting was serviceable, but the story and writing were simple, yet deep (if you went looking). The FX worked (those Imperial walkers on Hoth, to me, look more real and believable than anything I've seen in the prequels). Kids and grown-ups alike loved them (my Dad and Mom, my friend's parents, etc.). It wasn't "kiddie" in 1977 or 1980 (maybe a little in 1983 with those damn teddy bears and all).

And I can watch them all, today, and enjoy (and not feel like a dork, or like I'm wasting two hours).

But I don't even own any of the prequels (and don't plan to), and I can really only watch Episode III. I and II are, to me, just a loss and a bunch of noise and bullcrap for the most part. A few nice scenes, but I distinctly remember leaving the theater afterward, in 1999 and 2002, just feeling like "what in the hell was that?! This is what we've waited for?"

Sounds like this new one is continuing the proud tradition of "may the WTF?! be with you"

I say nothing in this thread as a trendy "bash Lucas" bandwagon jumper. I'm a fan, and have been since May of 1977. I love this stuff. I had/have the toys. My best friend and I lived and breathed this stuff during our childhood. Those original three movies were (and are) a gigantic part of my life, and I always go back to them. I'll always be a fan of this stuff. That theme song will always give me a slight chill and rush, the hum and spark of a lightsaber will always make me tingly and excited.

I'm snarky not because I hate "Star Wars"; in fact, it's the exact opposite...and it just makes me a little sad.