View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-10, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
But I still question whether the images will have the "enlargeability" (new word!) of a true 8MP DSLR shot (from a good lens) when shooting real world subjects. Especially with the noise trade-off, as you mentioned. Enlarging noise... not so good. I guess we'll find out how that camera's images stand up to interpolation.
The fact that you still question all of this is somewhat annoying. And what noise trade-off are we talking about here?

Quote:
Either way it's disappointing to me that the Foveon sensor itself is not very "scalable" it seems. I had hoped that one day many cameras might use next generation Foveon sensors that were in the 8 to 12 MP (actual) ballpark, along with all the other benefits it brings. This chip was under development at least 4 years and it's still in the same spot basically. Not encouraging for the future.
It's not scalable because Foveon doesn't have a purse like Sony, Canon or even Fujifilm. Also you're talking about mass-market sensors with 24 and 36 million pixels. Economies of scale at work here in addition to the technology just being far more complex.