View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-07-25, 20:37

Looking to do something in my Mom's kitchen. She's got godawful, 20-year-old ugly linoleum that's chipped, stained, scuffed, etc. all to hell.

I was at Home Depot and saw this product (the "plank" resilient flooring, made to look like wood). It's flexible, waterproof, goes over existing flooring (lays on a black rubber "gripper mat" surface, and adheres to it instead of your subfloor). "No prep" the display signage touts...

Just reading the brochure and the POP stuff at Home Depot (and a few online pieces), it almost seems to good to be true (economical, easy to install, looks nice, etc.).

She's not rich (and I'm not that skilled of a laborer), so any talk of true wood or tile flooring is off the table.

It's a small kitchen, probably about 11x8 of viewable/usable floorspace, so we're not talking a massive "designer kitchen" like you see on HGTV or anything.

Speaking of HGTV, I've seen Candice Olsen do a couple of basements and a kitchen using resilient flooring products, and she doesn't mess around or do crappy work, so I figure it can't be all bad.

Anyone?

Experience? Advice? Tips? Additional info? Precautions? Warnings? Praise? Condemnation? Pros? Cons? Satisfaction? Hate it?

BTW, this is what I was looking at:

Trafficmaster Allure.

It looks pretty damn nice in person, I gotta say. For this particular application, especially (it beats the living crap out of what's there now, believe me).

The display at Home Depot: