View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-11, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I disagree. I'd say he's a social genius. ...

It's like Wolfenstein and the Nazis. The bad guy is an ultimate evil that has no good traits. Again, perfect setup for a game where you go around killing bad guys left and right. ....

By the same accord, if Carmack is twisted, what do you say about the people that make horror movies? They have to come up with some really sick, gory ways of mutilating people physically and psychologically. Does that make those writers equally screwed up in the head?

YES. Most definitely. People that produced Faces of Death? Sick fucks. People who produced movies like the Gates of Hell and other movies that are more about depicting torturous events as they happen to people (not just showing blood or stabbing or whatever)? Sick fucks.

Depending on the horror flick that you're describing (some are very good stories that are much more about the fear / human psychology than about how despicable an image of carnage they can burn into people's minds), many of the Hollywood types who make them are definitely messed up / unstable IMHO.

I'm not saying John Carmack isn't a very clever business man who has his finger on the pulse of his buying public, etc... I'm not even saying he shouldn't be allowed to make those games. I'm saying that in order to conjur up some of the visions this man has, you have to be a little screwed in the noggin. A little unstable, a little warped -- however you want to describe it. There are certain things that sort of cross the unspoken line. They're not written down anywhere and they're not talked about; you just know it when you see it.

You have to dismiss a certain part of your humanity in order to willfully conjur up and serve to the masses those kinds of images and ideas. Just MO.

...into the light of a dark black night.