View Single Post
Quagmire
meh

2021-02-19, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Too much can be as bad as too little. Should it be decreased?

When was the last time a nuclear power plant came online in the U.S.? A search tells me Tennessee brought one online in 2016. Before that, also in Tennessee, was in 1996. They're too expensive compared to every other viable solution!

You, yourself said, "if only they were allowed on US soil." So, why aren't they? Americans are scared of them? or too much regulation? I'm curious, because I have no idea, but I suspect it's either the latter or *conspiracies*.
I suspect it's a combination of both fear and cost. The American public is constantly barraged with when things go wrong with nuclear power plants. Whether through natural disaster events( Fukushima), human error/design flaws( Chernobyl, 3 mile island), or just through Hollywood. Then you have the,
"What about the nuclear waste!" push back, etc etc.

Now of course we have politicians are blaming wind for the power issues in TX( wind turbines can operate in the cold, you just have to do the proper winterization) so we have that working against any sort of progress because we need distractions.

I am sure costs due to *gasp* ensuring safety of the reactors and plants play a role given the short term focus of American business instead of long term outlook so they don't want to pay the up front costs.

giggity