View Single Post
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-16, 13:23

The best way to learn guitar is to just sit down with one and try and jam every day. I'm self taught and it was grueling and slightly disappointing at first but I got much better over time.

Playing with other people who are better then you is great too because you can pick up little tips and such.

I'd recommend learning scales first. I still don't know them as well as I should, but ohwell. Hell, I didn't even know chords the first 2 years I played. I sorta take that back, I knew how to play chords but I didn't know the names and all the fancy stuff. I was and still am real raw on guitar.

As far as tuners go, definitely buy one. Korg's are not bad. I have a pocket one that I sometimes use, but I mainly use my Boss tuner pedal in my pedal board.

bassplayinMacFiend recommend the Harmony-Central website and I will second that site. I'm a daily visitor there. They have a great forum section that I'm on all the time. The "marketplace" section they have has a lot of diversity in there and I've bought and sold through there. I visit the recording forum too to get new ideas and tips. Their review section is great too. I also visit www.ultimate-guitar.com. It's a tab website, but they have a lot of good lessons there and a good forum as well.

I might have missed it, but is your guitar electric or acoustic? Either way, I'd recommend getting some new strings right off the bat.

If it's acoustic I'd recommend:
Elixar polyweb
D'Addario's
- These are the only two I use. They're a lil pricy ($15?) but they last forever and have a great feel and sound.

If it's electric, I only play with Ernie Ball Super Slinky's.

Let us know if you have any other questions or need hardware advice. There's several of us music buffs running around this neck of the woods.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey