View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
...now they need to turn towards the prosumer/consumer segment again where Sony, Pentax/Samsung, Olympus/Panasonic all have competitive options. I can't stand the autofocus in the D60. The low end Nikon needs the D70's focus screen at the very least, with the D80/D200's being preferable.
What do you dislike about the D60's autofocus, Eugene? It's the same autofocus module as in the D40 and D40x, which I thought worked pretty well when I tried it briefly (in a shop). I'm thinking of getting a D40x or D60, so I'm curious. The main reasons I favour a Nikon over the rest in this price-range is because they have the F-mount and a two-year warranty (in the UK where I'd probably buy it).

The D80 and D200 have one of the best viewfinders of all crop-sensor DSLRs, with good magnification, generous eye-relief, and a proper penta-prism. The only crop-sensor cameras with an [imperceptibly] larger viewfinder are the Pentax K10D/K20D, and the D300 (the latter due only to larger coverage rather than greater magnification). The D70 had a terribly small viewfinder, even smaller than that of the D40/D40x/D60. But it did have a prism rather than the penta-mirror that the new low-end cameras have, so it was brighter. I haven't paid much attention to the focus screens in these cameras, though I did find manual focus very difficult with the D70s I used for a couple of weeks.