View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 17:22

I think the D700 is pretty exciting stuff. Considering that an F6 costs about $2000, a $3000 D700 is only about a $1K premium for the sensor and associated goodies. Granted it is a different body/AF module, but they're in a comparable class (high-end) SLRs (albeit one film and the other digital)

It sort of puts the lie to the whole, "OMG, 35mm sensors are always going to cost too much" school of thought. Yeah, they still cost a lot, but they're dropping enough to make a D700 possible for less than half of what it would have cost 5 years ago.

Interesting thing about the entry level Nikons, they're dropping the focus motor drive as they work their way up the model line-up. First with the D40, now the D40x and D60. Will the D90 successor be next?

Could be an interesting way of distinguishing it from the D300, if it ends up inheriting most of the electronic bits. I guess we're going to lose the focus motor entirely at some point, though I think it will be years before pros relinquish their screw-driven lenses.