View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2011-07-29, 15:39

I think Apple will continue to try and acquire patents, but buying large companies outright doesn't really fit where they are at.

I kind of liked the rumor of them buying Barnes & Noble, not so much because it makes any sense for Apple to 'take on' 600+ gigantic stores(it doesn't) but because it does kind of make sense for Apple to look to expand their retail presence beyond indoor malls. But any company like that, that comes complete with thousands of employees, debt, unwanted assets and other baggage just seems like an impediment to what Apple is trying to do.

As for buying a company like ARM or AMD. This seems a lot more possible to me, I think Apple wouldn't mind having a system, handheld or otherwise, that used "apple" chips for both the CPU and the GPU. However, the anticompetitive concerns here are pretty large and also their relationship with Intel is as solid as they come(at least from the outside looking in) and the perks they have gotten from them rival anything they could do on their own through ARM or AMD.