View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 13:45

You'd think they'd do all the iPads at once, in a single event (well, at least the non-Pro models). Because even if they were to hold back some (that affordable base model), then it would all be done together and you you'd have them all upgraded as a set, the iPad, iPad Air and iPad mini.

From today, with confidence, you could know all the non-Pro iPads got their yearly update and were a safe, no-brainer purchase.

Right now the base model has the A13 (up from the A12, I assume?, which is fine and helps keep it affordable), the new mini has the same A15 as the new phones. And then the Air is still at the A14. Why not just wait and do those non-Pro iPads as part of the MacBook Pro event, or include the Air today with the other two, also going to the A15?

There's going to be this one-month period where the "better than base model, but not quite Pro" iPad Air is on last year's chip, when everything around it got updated today. I know it's only a few weeks(?) away, that other event. But it just seems weird to split the models like that.

That means someone who doesn't follow this stuff is going to drop serious money on an iPad Air in the coming weeks, only for Apple to give it a nice upgrade in 2-4 weeks at the MacBook Pro event. I don't see the point in that unnecessary, potentially-confusing "stagger".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-14 at 13:55.