View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-28, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Something has already struck me about United 93. Every single review talks about the movie as if it's some kind of masterpiece, yet the soundbites sound exactly like a *really* poorly scripted drama (the kind we're so used to we don't even notice anymore). It got me thinking: has any national media critic had the balls to say anything at all about this movie that's not positive?
Well, this is supposed to be a 'docu-drama' type thing, I believe; which is a whole different ballgame than a regular screenplay written with plot structure and character development. They purposely use a hand-held camera in the plane, I guess to simulate realism.

He uses bits and pieces of events and conversation gleaned from the many interviews to try to reconstruct what happened. Honestly, I really don't think we can judge a docu-drama of a historical event in the same way we do a normal film with a screenplay written by skilled writers.

Quote:
All I hear on the radio is "these people were heros, go see it", and it's barely even out. Striking me as the worst form of propoganda already. Get the feelings of sorrow and nationalism going again now that it's waning in everyone's everyday life. Propoganda masquerading as art, is an awful thing; I hope that's not the case with this movie.
I don't see why a British writer-director would want to create this work for *propaganda* purposes. I'm sure as a European in the artistic/creative community, he has no use for the Bush administration. I feel that he has put this film together because the drama of what really happened in that plane is of unbelievable intensity.
Quote:
[About British writer/director Greengrass]...he notes that these were the only passengers and crew members on any of those ill-fated flights who knew about the other planes having been used as weapons and realized what was happening to them. "They were the first people to inhabit the post-9/11 world," Greengrass says. These were the first to react to the worldwide conflict we find ourselves in today.
Quote:
I intend to see it, just not tonight. Mayeb a matinee tomorrow or something. It just doesn't sound like it's that well put together to me. I want to see the story unfold through the director's eyes, but I'm not holding my breath for anything inspiring.
I am really looking forward to your comments tomorrow, Moogs.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002383139