View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-02-18, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
... but for video professionals like you, the extra video memory would be a big help.
That sounds like it makes sense, but that is actually a common misconception. For video and effects editing, the GPU is almost irrelevant.

The GPU matters if you are gaming. Maybe if you are doing a metric fuckton of 3D modeling as well, (like, if you were making games) it would be of assistance. See, the GPU only has an effect if you are dealing with lots of polygons - especially if you are only adding extra VRAM. Ad even then extra VRAM isn't as important as a faster GPU.

For video editing, the absolute best thing you can have is a fast hard drive and a ton of RAM. If I were you, I would go with the $2000 model (2.16 GHz), stick 3 GB of RAM and the 160 GB HD (not the 200 because it is slower) in it, get a 24" or a 30" external ACD*, and then a massive external FireWire 800 hard drive.

* Don't skimp on the monitor and go with a Dell or a Samsung because "they are cheaper with better specs." Without going into complicated details, the ACD's color consistency is MUCH better than any other widely available LCD. The ACDs are actually soft-proof certified, meaning that color will be the same across the entire panel. This is not true for other models; as I sit here behind my 24" Samsung, I can actually see colors varying at the corners of the screen - completely unacceptable if you are doing video work.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2007-02-18 at 15:23.