View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 12:59

I guess if I have one reservation/"uh-oh" in all of this is that's it's odd wrapping my head around the fact that the three-plus decades of mystery that surrounded the character, both before and after TESB, is forever undone. Only because of my disdain for the prequels overexplaining/zapping the charm and mystery from everything do I feel this way.

It's probably the reason why, despite how enjoyable he was in The Mandalorian, I actually find myself looking more forward to season three of The Mandalorian and the Obi-Wan show than this one. I'll watch, of course. But part of me hates the idea of Fett becoming just another stock SW character.

It'll be different. Not better, not worse. Just...different.

But the people in charge seemed to do good work (Robert Rodriguez directed several episodes, as did Favreau, Filoni and Bryce Dallas Howard). Those all did a good job on The Mandalorian, so none of my concerns are about the filming/writing at all. Just the "well, he's no longer that mysterious, mythical figure he's always been".

There's that risk of the Phantom Menace Effect. 2-3 years from now, will Fett's popularity/standing in SW lore somehow diminish as a result of all this? We'll see how it all plays out. But I know it'll be an enjoyable show. I just don't want those seismic charges become an overplayed thing every damn episode, that's all. Don't turn Boba Fett in Adam West Batman, that's all. I don't want to be sitting there going "oh, here's where he'll pull out and use that [fill in the blank]...".

According to the show's Wikipedia page, there are seven installments in this series, beginning on December 29 and running until February 9. Hopefully, within a few months after that, either The Mandalorian or the Kenobi show (or Andor or something will kick up. And then we move to a period to where there's a reasonably steady, year-round diet of Star Wars on Disney+, separated by a few months. It's just been hard to justify the cost of a subscription when there's been just one series for about two months and then 10 months of crickets.

I actually watched The Mandalorian on the log-in info of another (sue me). However, once these shows start to hit to where there is new streaming, live-action SW content at least 7-9 months of the year, I'll gladly pony up. That's been my plan all along, they're just dragging ass on getting to it. But I have zero interest in Marvel, Disney/Pixar, or rewatching any of the non-OT trilogy movies ever again (and I bailed on/couldn't hang with the animated Clone Wars stuff, despite my best efforts), so, at the moment, Disney+ is just a no-go for me. But I'm happy to change that once they make it worth my particular while. I'm only interested in the new, original live-action stuff at this point (Andor, Obi-Wan, Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Ahsoka, etc.). And once those start releasing with the frequency/density of the Marvel stuff (Wandavision, the Falcon/Winter Soldier show, Loki, Hawkeye), that'll be really nice. There have been about 11,000 Marvel-related shows on Disney+ throughout 2021 (or it just seems that way), vs., two years later, just the lone Mandalorian stuff for about two months of the year. Seriously...four live-action directly-related MCU shows on Disney+ throughout 2021, and the only SW-related one is (finally) showing up on December 29, two days before the year ends.* What the hell?!

That's an gross, tragic imbalance I'm not pleased with at all.

*And no, I'm not counting that Bad Batch show. And by all I've heard, seen and read...nobody else really did either.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-13 at 13:19.