View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 13:53

Walking around a museum, maybe? But even that is kinda already accomplished via just reading/looking at pics/watching video.

I don't know if headset-visiting the Louvre would really change my world in any way. I can already see everything that's there in other ways. But, while there, in real life, having the experience enhanced in some way?

But something like visiting the Pyramid ruins outside of Cairo? Or truly exotic, inaccessible/unreachable-by-most places? I think that sort of thing will be the true hook. At least, in my mind.

"Wanna see what it looks like at the top of Everest?" or "Imagine you can free-dive around the Titanic wreckage...let's go into this room and see what's there...". I could see that sort of thing having a strong appeal because who among us is ever going to visit the top of Everest or the bottom of the ocean?

But if a bunch of people want to use it to chase after Pokemon shit and iBangĀ® Cardi B, then that's their deal.

I, personally, can't see me ever using it or finding a truly "OMG, I gotta have this!!!" (old man and all, you see), but for people like my niece and nephew who've grown up in a world of nothing but iOS, Amazon, social media, hyper-realistic gaming, mobile broadband, the world in their pocket 24/7, etc., they'll probably jump on it.

There's no way I'm walking around with that stuff on my head, no. I already have issues/concerns with folks living their entire lives via 4-6" screens (attending concerts and events and never once actually looking at the stage or playing field), and this sort of thing will only ramp that up and detach us all even further, I'm guessing). So aside from a couple of novel, "yeah, that's kinda cool...we done here?" scenarios, I can't really think of anything. Anything involving travel, I'd just rather do the real thing. I don't game, so all that angle is out. I already talk to and/or see any friends/relatives I want. Not once have I ever been on FaceTime and thought "I need more, and their voice needs to come from behind my head, like they're in the kitchen!"

I know there's that thing between AR and VR. VR, I have absolutely no interest in, no. AR, used in some clever, smart way (to enhance a museum experience in some way with extra info/animation or whatever), some may find that useful and appealing.

But it's just going to boil down to "which chick from The Bachelor can I see naked on my couch?", I'm guessing.

Some day when it all can get down to "normal eyewear" appearances, I think that's when it'll really go big. As long as wearing these stuff keeps/places one in the Terminal Virginity Zone because of how big and ridiculous they're probably going to look early on, I think most will be like "I'll wait...".

We're nothing if not vain.