View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-24, 10:43

Discovery continues to frustrate me.

The good: the writing holds a mirror up to our current events, following the example of the original series.

The neutral: the show is unabashedly woke, which doesn't bother me terribly. It's well past time that white human males weren't the only beings capable of being captains and officers of Federation vessels. This show does it pointedly, and in a recent episode delivered a fairly undisguised admonishment to the leader of a judgy conservative colony, who happened to be a white male human - the point was not lost, and as a member of that group of humans I thought it on point considering where our society is today.

The bad: in its push for new worlds and new civilizations and a new culture, the producers behind this series are featuring established Federation species and cultures but not integrating them back into the series. I'm not asking for a giant heaping plate of fan service, but I feel like they're missing great opportunities to stitch themselves more deeply into the Star Trek universe. In last night's episode they DID do something that linked back to something from a previous series, and I know that there are undoubtedly other moments where they have done that, but when I'm paying attention (and this is clearly a rant about ME) I don't get that sense of connection to old Trek. And that's okay too.

I will watch Star Trek Discovery. Even if it isn't my favorite series there are lots of fun parts. I just wish the muttering actors could get some stage training so I could understand what they were saying.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter