View Single Post
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-23, 18:11

The Good Guys. Did anybody see the season premiere? Starring Bradley Whitford (Josh Lyman on "The West Wing") and Colin Hanks (son of Tom).

I gotta say, I really liked it. It's sort of the overused buddy cop show thing with one young, straight out of the academy by-the-books noob, and his partner the older grizzled cop with a drinking/drugs/whatever problem who is out of touch with modern times and only wants to keep reliving his glory days.

The thing is that's all very intentional and it doesn't take itself seriously at all. If anything it exaggerates the stereotypes for comedic effect. There's some great writing, it really made me laugh a couple times, and Whitford and Hanks' chemistry is already proving to be really good IMO.

I mean come on, there was a scene with the two of them in an 80s Trans Am with AC/DC playing as they chased a bad guy. It was awesome. Whitford's comic timing is better than Hanks', but he's not bad at all.

To me this seems like one of those shows where they got the tone of the show just right, and they have the dialogue and acting to back it up. I mean there were a number of awesome over the top gunfight scenes which is just what you'd expect from something like this.

In one scene, Hanks bursts into a room and fires both his guns till they're empty. The scene switches to his target who is not only right in front of him, but completely unhurt, and you can see bullet holes in the wall behind him.

Hanks gives that pained expression you always see on Tom Hanks' face, and says "Not one?"

The guy says "It's not as easy as it looks, eh?"

I laughed. I believe I'm a fan and will continue to subscribe to their newsletter.