View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 10:01

New Spider-Man trailer now out, confirming the presence/involvement of various villains from other installments.

Frankly it looks like an overwrought, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink headache-and-a-half and fan-service orgy...but since when has that impacted a movie's success (especially in this genre)?

I think, right or wrong, I just have it hardwired into me that once you jump into the time travel and/or "alternate/multiple universes" thing (I know that's been part of the comics), that you're just kinda out of ideas or you need a quick, easy way to explain (or undo) any complex messes you've gotten into on the writing/creativity front. They're my two least favorite tropes/devices in movies/storytelling, honestly. So my interest in sitting through such a thing, even for the nostalgia rush, is less than zero.

And that DC and that upcoming Flash movie are doing the exact same thing...well. Okay, whatever...

"We can fix all this by having him go back in time and..." or "well, you see, there are multiple worlds all existing, independent of one another, and so...".

Yeah, I'm good...spare me. Not a fan of this kind of stuff, on a good day. It's a (lazy) "finger-snap", at best. At worst, a bit of a cynical "let's do a 'greatest hits' thing and really pull the neckbeards in!" tactic.

I'd rather sit through the most Kate Hudson-y/Reese Witherspoon-y of rom-com chick-flicks than to try and endure/make sense of the above.

But it'll no doubt make gazillions! Right now, I think Spider-Man (along with those Disney+ shows) is holding that stuff together, and a legitimate tie back to the "glory years" of the MCU. People will watch, in large numbers, just from that angle alone, IMO. The Stark stuff is going to loom large for some time to come, so that's good (you see a brief glimpse of Favreau's Happy Hogan in the above trailer, so you know it's all still part of that world...as it should be).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-17 at 10:17.