View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-07, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
If your current one is still getting stuff done, I’d just wait. Define “pretty tough”. Is it literally unable to perform without overheating, crashes/freeze-ups, error messages all day, super out-of-date on OS or other software ability, hard drive acting flaky, etc.?
I usually buy a new MacBook every four years (iBook in 2002, MacBooks Pro in 2006, 2010, 2014) — but this time, I haven't yet. Part of it is the butterfly keyboard, and the 2016 generation being a bummer in several other ways (which is in part Intel's fault). So, six and a half years in, I would kind of need a new one.

My current one has a battery that needs to be serviced (which, fair, but also that doesn't seem to make much sense any more?), and has bouts where it crashes several times a day. I'm not entirely sure why.

Failing all else, I'll probably get a refurb of the late-2019 16-inch, which is pretty good. But I haven't lost hope that they'll do one last Intel offering.

Quote:
My big question/interest in all this is pricing. I don’t think it’ll be anything huge, either way, but what’s the general opinion on Apple bringing this part of the work in-house?

Do Macs come down a bit (over time, if not right away), or do they use the opportunity to justify a $100-200 hike (more as you get into the higher-end models) due to any performance/power management gains?
I suppose they might make the entry-level ones cheaper (given how similar they'll be to the iPad Pro, it kind of makes sense for the prices to be more in line, too).

But I think if prices do "change", it'll be something you can't really objectively prove. For example, the new 16-inch MacBook Pro could start at $1799 or $1999 again but without a discreet GPU. Is that really a price change, or is it a result of not having been able to offer such a model with Intel? Likewise, if there's a new 12-inch MacBook or MacBook Air at $999 rather than $1499, again, part of that is because Intel's CPUs for it were both expensive and also so slow Apple just discontinued it altogether.

Quote:
I’m not really worried about the performance, battery life, general specs/numbers (Apple wouldn’t be doing all this if the didn’t think they could make an impact and match, if not surpass, their current supplier).
Yep.