View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-12, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Looking through the specs on these 3 M1 Macs, I noticed that they all have USB4/TB3 ports, but the specs say "• Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40Gb/s) • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)". So it's not USB4 (which is up to 40Gb/s)? Are TB3 and USB4 the same thing now? *confused*
USB4 is sort of Thunderbolt 3 lite, as I understand it.

(It's interesting that there's no 3.2 Gen 2x 20 Gb/s support, though. Good lord, these versions are stupid.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I doubt it. I suspect Apple has a "Pro" version of the M1. Frank777 may be correct that there will be an MX1, but I think the iPad lineup tells the story: There is "A" and there is "Ax". If Apple follows protocol, then M1x is the thing. Yes, it will be a derivative of the M1. More CPU cores? More GPU cores? 2 chips on one board, each with their own DRAM?
Yeah. Almost certainly more cores.

I'm guessing it'll have features the M1 lacks, like support for separate RAM chips. I don't think putting 64 GiB on the SoC is feasible. Putting 1.5 TiB on it like on the Mac Pro? Surely not. So at some point, they need a way for external RAM expansion — but they had no reason to ship that feature for these low-end Macs.

Given that they didn't call it the M14, it might not actually be in sync with the annual releases. So we could see an M2 in spring or summer.